Senior Android Engineer (m/f/x)
At SuitePad we're shaping the hotel room of the future!
SuitePad is a Berlin-based SaaS + Hardware company focused on hotel tech.
We deliver hotels’ aggregated content, entertainment, and services through in-room tablets and other software- and hardware-solutions. The depth and quality of our services have made us the market leader for in-room guest communication in more than 90,000 hotel rooms across the globe. Our customers include renowned international hotel groups like Jumeirah, Meliá and Van der Valk. As a team, we are proud of the industry recognition we have received (Hotel Tech Report, Hotelverband Deutschland (IHA), Gastro Vision and more).
A unique challenge
Our mission is to help hotels engage their guests in a digital world through our software- and hardware-solutions. Apart from acting as a communication-medium, our solutions augment the in-room experience for the hotel-guests and enhance the operations of hoteliers.
As an Android Developer at SuitePad, you will be working at the intersection of Hardware and Software.
Our Android stack ranges from user-facing applications (e.g. TV remote-control & VoIP-client) to applications related to our fleet-management.
We believe that this variety of our Android projects provides a truly unique opportunity for anyone interested in the Android ecosystem.
- A range of applications to enhance the in-room experience for the hotel-guests
- Plenty of opportunities to work with the hardware layer, such as audio, BLE and Infrared
- Work with a fleet of Android devices and tablets running our custom AOSP ROMs and suite of native and hybrid android apps
- Improve testability and maintainability of current code-base by applying best practices and leveraging the latest compatible frameworks for Kotlin and Android.
- Help us explore how to expand our existing infrastructure into the IoT space as we prepare to design and launch our new custom hardware
- Your day-to-day responsibilities will also include troubleshooting and liaising with staff from other departments
- Deep understanding of the modern Android development practices and tooling
- Passionate about writing easy-to-test code
- Production experience with Kotlin
- You see tasks related to release-cycles and monitoring as important as coding
- Fluent in English: both written and spoken
- Track record of guiding junior developers
- Knowledge of AOSP, Android system hidden apis and the internals of the Android OS and Linux
- Experience with embedded systems, Raspberry Pi, Odroid or IoT devices in general
- Familiar with Cloud IoT services (from AWS or Google)
- Experience with Test Case Management
About SuitePad Engineering
Our Android Stack
We work closely with the operating system’s internals to create an ecosystem of functionalities around our Android powered platform: web browsing, VoIP, networking, system customization, device management and provisioning to name a few.
This makes for an especially broad tech-stack. Alongside the traditional Kotlin/Java stack that you would expect from an Android role, we heavily use scripting languages such as Python, Shell and Node.js. We dive deep into AOSP, the Android boot sequence, hidden system apis and the network layer.
How we work
- We are a team of light-hearted and international Frontend, Backend and Android Engineers.
- We encourage teammates to bring in well-reasoned opinions, productively disagree with us and to make decisions based on technical merits – we make evidence-based decisions as a team.
- We believe in Servant Leadership.
- We respect each other's work-life balance.
- We uphold high code quality standards that are enforced via CI, static analysis and code reviews, as we strive to reduce “total cost of ownership”.
- We practice agile methodologies that fit our team size - a Kanban-light approach.